LESSON 53 Onomatopoeia

 

Onomatopoeia - Are examples of words that project the actual sound in a sentence.

examples: bang, splash, boom, meow

- A relatively large number of bird names arise by onomatopoeia.

-The use of onomatopoeia for literary effects.

The language in her picture books is notable for its playfulness and onomatopoeia.

-The naming of a thing or action by imitation of natural sounds


1. The bee hives in my grandmothers backyard create a sympophy of sounds with their buzzing music. 


2. My cats will hiss at the neighbor cats through the window.


3. A snake that was swerving in the desert landscapes frigthened me with its low volume hissing.


4. Because she lives by herself she didn't realize that she snored until her friends told her during their summer vacation.


5. My dogs has the cutest snore during his afternoon nap.


6. The vroom of  my neighbor's old model car would wake me up every morning.


7. The car races in Long Beach Auto Show create a vroom sound that almost break the sound barrier.


8. The sizzle of bacon in morning always reminds me of my childhood Sunday breakfast with my parents.


9. The pitter-patter of raindrops on the rooftops is one of my favorite sounds of nature.


10. My brother was a kid, loved to make pig sounds of "oink-oink" as he devoured his super-supreme pizza.


11. Each of my cats has a unique meow of their own.  I can always tell who is asking for food or needs by their meows.


12. The birds chirp the loudest when my grandfather feeds them in the morning.


13. I got the hiccups from laughing so much at my friend's jokes.  My cure for hiccups is drinking a full glass of water, but because I couldn't stop laughing I started gushing water out of my mouth like a fountain.


14.One of my favorite sounds is to hear my cats purring while they are being petted.


15. When I was a kid and was having a temper tantrum, my mother would imitate me by saying,

"boo-hoo you will survive...".


Onomatopoeia (Greek -onoma (name) poiein-to make

sounds - some are both verbs and nouns

16. The teenage boys were fighting and slapped eacher in the face.  The sound of the slaps were as loud a a car crashing.


17..The car crashed into the wall and made a crash sound that I will never forget in my ears and eyes.

18. The rustle sound we heard early in the morning turned out to be a little mouse in my mail pile.


Words related to water

19. bloop-  The leaky kitchen faucet made a bloop-boop sound that woke me up this morning.


20.dribble- Dribble a little bit of water over the flour to make the pizza dough.


21.drizzle- I like to drizzle chocolate sauce on my brownies for an extra chocolatey taste.


22.spray-  I spray my garden with a garden hose everyday instead of sprinkling with water sprinklers.


23.squirt- The ketchup bottle squirted all over the table cloth and drizzled onto the floor.


People sounds- gr-throat,  mu-mouth

24. ahem- Ahem is a sound my mother made when she was dissatisfied with my answer for being late from school.


25.belch- My father would make a joke of pretending to belch after a good meal.


26.chatter-My teeth began to chatter when I was outside skiing in the snow.


27.groan- The kid was groaning as he complained about doing chores around the house.


28.gulp- The 7-11 store serves "Big Gulps" icees that are 24-64 ounces of delicious icey drinks to gulp and gulp.


29.blurt- When I was at the meeting I blurted out that I wanted us to work more cooperatively.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro expressions- We can explain. Lesson 10

Tongue Twisters lesson 37 & 37 B

Lesson 36 Similes/ METAPHORS 36 b