LESSON 52 SYNONYMS DEFINED

 1/ deception- fraud, subterfuge, trickery (deals with acts or practices that deliberately deceive.

The word also implies or suggest cheating...


1. There has been more fraud on the internet since Covid 19.  People are desperate and use tactics of subtle subertfuge such as using bogus icons like "Paypal logos"to hack into the publics' private accounts.


2. detour - noun -indirect course - branch, bypass, diversion

The topography of the desert landscape aloud for several paths that branched out into four diverse directions. 


In order to bypass the traffic on the 405 south we traveled strictly on the 5 south to find our way home. 


3. so- for this reason, for that reason, that is why, consequently, thus, on account of this,

My family continually vows to get together on Thanksgiving.  For this reason, my parents begin preparations after the 4th of July.

On account of this, my parents really enjoy their retirement years with this love project.


4. What is another way to say "how are you?" How are things going? What is going on? What's new? "

My neighbor begins everyday with a greeting of "How are you?" to me.  I generally respond with "It's a beautiful day and I hope the same for you and your wifey,"


5. What is Pollyana slang?

A Pollyana is a blindly or foolishly optimistic person.  The term derives from Eleanor H. Porter's 1913 novel. Pollyana is an orphan who moves in with her "cranky" "spinster" aunt and melts her heart and the people in the town with her optismistic attitude. 


One of my favorite aunts of my mother's six sisters, always seemed to have a Pollyana attitude when looking at problems.  She always had positive advise and reminded me that I was loved by her and our family.


6. abandon-desert

Tom abandoned his friends at the park and they had to find rides home.

The mall is deserted because there are no sales worth visiting.


7. abbreviate-shorten

We had to abbreviate the meeting because there was a storm coming nearby.

A thousand candles can be lighted from the flame of one candle, and the life of the candle well not be shortened.


8. ability-aptitude

He has the ability and desire to work as a mechanic at the Costco auto repair.

She plays the guitar, piano and violin, thereby having a remarkable aptitude for music.


9. abundant-ample

Oil is abundant in the middle east.

There is ample room in our attic to rent it as a studio apartment.


10. aggressive-militant

I wasn't aggressive enough on the soccer field to make the goals I had visualized.

Be fanatically positive and militantly optismistic. If something is not to your liking change your liking.


11. amateur-novice

My father is an amateur golfer who plays every weekend at the local country club.

In the 1990's I was a novice dress designer under the infamous Calvin Klein in New York.


12. contemporary-newfangled

The contemporary artist is using recycle cell phones to create his artwork.

My grandmother is always saying: "...those newfangled cell phones are impossible to make a basic phone call.


13..break the bank-too expensive/ or not too expensive (depending on the sentence)

I know the car is expensive but it's not going to break the bank

I was a bit extravagent and almost broke the bank with my new car purchase.


14. penny pincher-frugal

Means someone is conscious about money and watches what he spends.

My mother is not cheap but frugal regarding her clothing purchases. She shops at Ross versus Macy's.


He always brings his own lunch since he is the biggest penny pincher I know. 


15. The best thing since sliced bread. -- a good invention or innovation-good idea or plan

Having Uber food delivery near me is the best thing since sliced bread for me.


16. Elvis has left the building. -the end of the show- it's all over.

When we went to see Jennifer Lopez at her concert, we were waiting 20 minutes for an encore that never happened.  An assistant came out and said "Elvis has left the building".


17. late bloomer- mature later in life

I was a later bloomer so traveling to Europe didn't happen for me until I was in my thirties. 


18. walking on a tightrope---precarious

Because her parents suddenly became ill and her twin boys started college the same time, so she was definitely walking a tightrope at this time.


19, days of wine and roses- the best of times

When my husband and I traveled through Italy on our honeymoon, it was literally the "days of wine and roses" by visiting the wine vineyards and enjoying the scenery and cuisnine of the beautiful country.


20.lone wolf- solitary person

I am a very private person- a lone wolf so to speak.  I enjoy working on my artwork for hours at a time without the need for interaction with other people.


21. wallflower- a shy, demur person, 

When I was a teenager at the high school dances, I was a bit of a wallflower waiting for the boys to ask me to dance.  I didn't always get asked to dance so I would help with the concession stand to avoid not being asked to dance. 

22. buring the candle at both ends- working to hard

When I was in college I  was definitely burning the candle at both ends with two jobs, one at Target and one at the college library, plus a full load of college courses.

23. One in a blue moon-  an event that happens infrequently

A blue moon is the infrequent occurrence in which two months appear in one month.

My neighbors lawn looks like a jungle because he mows his lawn once in a blue moon.


24.When pigs fly- something that will never happen

When pigs fly I will get my teenage son to clean his room without me asking.


25.to cut corners-to do something badly or cheaply

They really cut corners when they built this bathroom; the shower is leaking


26. see eye to eye-this means agreeing with someone

They finally saw eye to eye on the business deal.


We have been friends since art school because when we saw eye to eye on how an artist should dress.


27. to add insult to injury-to make a situation worse

To add insult to injury the car drove off without stopping after knocking me off my bike.


28. You can't judge a book by its cover-to not judge someone or something based soley on appearance.

I thought thos no-brand bread would be horrible; turns out you can't judge a book by its cover.


29.to hit the nail on the head-to describe exactly what is causing a situation or problem

He hit the nail on the head when he said this company needs more HR support.


30. the elephant in the room-a matter or problem that is obvious of great importance but that is not discussed openly


"Let's discuss the elephant in the room", of excessive purchases, before we decide to buy more Christmas gifts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro expressions- We can explain. Lesson 10

Tongue Twisters lesson 37 & 37 B

Lesson 36 Similes/ METAPHORS 36 b