Lesson 17 Verbs and prepositions and Collocations

 Collocation- are words that are frequently placed together.  A collocation in English is a group of two or more words that are often found together in speech or writing. These word groupings help to avoid overused and ambiguous words like "very", "nice", "beautiful". 



Describe the images in the photograph using collocations...

The glare of the sun prevented us from seeing the gutted out - demolished residual structures.


1. He is able to pay attention even after an eight hour "graveyard" shift. (pay attention)

 

2. The teenagers travel to the fast food restaurant on imagery jet propelled skateboards. (fast food, jet propelled)


3. My next door neighbor makes an effort to share her roses with me (makes an effort)


4. She had intended to take the Christmas holiday in New York and decided to stay under the perpetual warmth of the Malibu sun.


5. The history teacher wanted to see if he could get a job with us. Fortunately, he was hired because the school district had not tried to reach their quota of history teachers.


6. I might take a lesson from you if you are still teaching still life drawings sessions. 


7. Surprisingly the septuagenarian's goal was to go back to school and get a degree.


8. The children do a favor to the neighbors by picking up their trash cans off the street. 


9. My mother always likes to make a deal at the swap meet.  She is never afraid to ask for a discount on the discounted.


10. My parents say their secret to being happily married is to listen more than you talk.


11. He's brilliant at football and even more creative at painting.


12. My friend is a true nature lover and insists on explaining every tree to me.


13. Don't be careless with your ATM card.  Be sure to check to ATM machine after your have

completed your transaction.


EXPLAIN TO ME: 

My encouraging and supportive father explained to me how to drive a car.

My early childhood friend explained to me how to crochet a scarf.

The substitute gardener explained to me how to use the latest streamline lawnmower.

My literature study group explained to me how to work in teams.

The well informed librarian explained to me where the art books were located.

The tax accountant explained to me how to design my annual budget.

The young comedian explained to me how to laugh at the "stupid pet tricks".







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro expressions- We can explain. Lesson 10

Tongue Twisters lesson 37 & 37 B

Lesson 36 Similes/ METAPHORS 36 b